- 4 ounces elbow macaroni
- Water for cooking the elbow macaroni
- ½ ounce of chives
- 1 ounce of butter
- 1 ounce of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ounce of grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the instructions on the package. (Cooking times can vary from one brand to another.)
- While the macaroni is cooking, prepare the chives by chopping them. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, and then slowly add the milk.
- Cook the milk mixture, while stirring, until you can see small bubbles.
- Remove milk mixture from heat and stir in Cheddar and Parmesan until melted and dissolved. (If the cheese doesn’t melt and dissolve properly, put the saucepan on low heat, and melt and dissolve while stirring gently.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the cooked macaroni, put it back into the pot and pour the cheese-and-milk mixture over it. Stir to coat.
- Sprinkle the chopped chives over the mac and cheese before serving.